Saturday, December 3, 2016

Author interview with Crime Author T.J. Spade

Welcome my lovely visitors, readers and authors, this week I am interviewing fellow crime author, T.J. Spade.

T.J. Spade has two fascinations: Indiana Jones and the macabre. After trying to be Indy for a while and earning a Bachelor’s Degree in Archaeological Practice, T.J is now satisfying interest number two by plotting murder … on paper only of course.

Can you tell us a bit about you as an author? Well, I’m actually fairly new to this whole ‘being an author’ schtick. My debut novel, ‘The Everett Files Book 1: Take You Apart’ was published 30 November, 2015. Since then I’ve released Book 2 in the series and began work on Book 3. It’s been an amazing (and very busy) journey, and really, the best I’ve ever embarked upon.

What are the hardest parts of being an author?
Getting noticed and not becoming discouraged. A good friend of mine recently reminded me that it’s a marathon not a sprint – wise words.

What do you enjoy most about being an author?
No question, it’s the people I’ve met! Bloggers (you’re all amazing!), fellow indies, and of course my street team (shout out to Team Spade). I really feel as though I’m a part of something wonderful and the support is just incredible.

What authors/books have had an influence on your writing?
I write crime fiction, and I’d probably trace that influence back to when I was a teenager and frugally saving my babysitting money to buy the latest James Patterson novel. I fell head-over-heels for his fast-paced style and all the action! It was seriously such a thrill when my debut novel released and it got that initial big jump in sales (due to all of my family and friends who were obligated to buy it), and I found my title beside one of Patterson’s on the Amazon charts. I took a screenshot on my phone of posterity!

Do you ever get Writer’s Block? If so, how do you deal with it? Do you believe there is such a thing?I don’t really believe in it (novice claim alert!). Some scenes are certainly easier to write than others but I believe you can always write ‘something’. ($10 says I’ve now jinxed myself!)

Do you have a particular place that you like to write? Either in bed (computer in my lap and cat at my feet), or at the dining table. The table is conveniently situated near the air-conditioner and the heater, so it works well all year round.

Do you have a favourite time of day to write? The earlier the better. If it don’t get the ball rolling in the morning I start to panic.

How do you like to reach your readers? 

Mostly via Facebook but face-to-face is great too. I’ve done a talk at my local library and I’m on the author panel with fellow Indie, Montana Ash and the amazing Frederick Forsyth, for SpyFest (September 2016) – I’m super excited about that. I also have Books by the Bridge and Riveting Reads coming up in 2017.

and here are the links:

              Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TJSpade/

               Amazon Author Page: https://www.amazon.com/author/tjspade

               Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/14661559.T_J_Spade

Can you tell us about your latest book? (is it part of a series, genre)
My latest release is ‘The Everett Files Book 2: Take You to Hell’. It picks up directly from where

Book 1 finishes and continues to follow the various cases of psychic police consultant, Caleb Everett. Caleb has worked alongside Homicide Detective Jack Rafferty for many years and he basically helps to hunt murderers and sometimes catch killers even before they strike. There’s a bit of a love interest (of course), and lots of fast-paced adventure.

How long did it take you to write the book? Approximately three months because I also work full-time. The first three Everett Files books will all have been published within a one-year period.

Do you have a favourite character/topic in your work?
I love my lead character, Caleb, but Jack Rafferty is pretty popular – I’m under strict instructions not to kill Jack off! I also thoroughly enjoy writing my villains – they’re pretty fun.

What was your process? Did you plot out the entire book, or just let the storyline flow? Do you write in chronological order?

I definitely work in chronological order and I have a lot mapped out … however, things change. Sometimes the characters will do something unexpected, or the plot will twist in a direction even I didn’t anticipate. I just roll with it.

Do you have plans for further instalments?
Yes. ‘Book 3: Take You Home’ is a work in progress (due out in December 2016). I also have plans for at least two more books in this series – and another series is busily plotting itself out within my grey matter.

Do you have a plan for your next book?
Yep, and my lips are sealed.

Ebooks vs Physical books? Do you have a preference when reading? Give me the hardcopy every time; I want to touch it, smell it, doggie-ear the pages and basically ogle it on my bookshelf.

Self-publishing vs traditional publishing? What are your thoughts? Do you feel that the industry is changing? It’s a tough one. If I was traditionally published I wouldn’t have my Street Team and all the amazing connections that go along with it. The flipside, is that I would have a publicist with connections and more experience than I could ever dream of having. I get the sense that the industry is moving in the direction of self-publishing and I think we see more amazingly talented, self-published authors cropping up every year. Actually, this seems like a good time to give IndieMosh (my publishing partners) a decent plug – Jenny and Ally are amazing, talented, knowledgeable and beyond helpful – if you need assistance getting your book out in the big, bad world I suggest you look them up.

And finally, what advice would you give to aspiring authors?
To quote a wise fish named Dory, “Just keep swimming.” If you’re not as successful as J.K. Rowling after your first novel … or your tenth novel … that doesn’t mean you throw in the towel. I see a lot of authors on social media getting upset by sales and reviews (or the lack thereof), and threatening to pull their books because “no-one” is reading them. In my opinion, you only fail when you give up, and the time you spend sulking about your so-called ill-fortune would be better spent on writing or promotion.

Just, “Swim, swim, swim.”

Thank you again for dropping by to chat TJ.



Thanks agian everyone for dropping by. If you'd like to be itnerveiwed for this blog, please drop me a line. 

Until next time, Happy reading!!!!


Cheers

Amanda





No comments: